Lack of parking and space was the impetuous for seeking a new location. The brothers has build a bar on Route 22, (in the site that is now Bishop’s Liquors adjacent to their supermarket. “It was for the benefit of our customers. We could offer a larger meat counter, more products and of course ample parking”.
Bishops has maintained a great reputation because its people, family and extended members are truly nice, and enjoy serving customers. This sort of longevity doesn’t happen by accident. In addition to the hard work, perseverance and commitment, the has to be community.
There is a large sign above the front of the store, check it out next time you shop!
Bishops is a great American story. A family working together, taking calculated risks against large chain competitors. But they “kept plugging away”, believing in their loyal customers. They worked hard to keep them coming back, and wove Bishops into the fabric of the community.
"Today Bishop’s has grown along with the community we serve. Over these many years, friends, family and many local employees have become fixtures at the store. A great part of living in a close community is meeting and greeting friends."
“It was really a general store back then,” remarked Bill Bishop. There was a meat counter of course, no where near the selection of produce and grocery items added with time. They purchased their cornerstone meats from R&R Provisions, R&R were “Ralph and Russ”, two schoolmates of the original market owners. Today R&R Provisions is one of the most successful meat providers in the east.
Ray Dillon and Ed Seigfried ran a small market on Main Street in Whitehouse Station since the 1930’s. In the mid 1950s Bill Bishop was working at Acme, but went to work for Dillon and Seigfried when he learned there was a chance to buy into the market. In 1954 brothers Floyd and William Bishop and with Bob Dillon purchased a local market from Floyd and Bill Bishop bought out Seigfried’s half and Bob Dillon bought Ray Dillon’s half and off they went!